Main Road Bridge Update #6 - February 23, 2018

[Project Update]

*CFS – Cubic Feet per Second

*GPM – Gallons Per Minute

Friday, February 16, 2018: Heavy rains event prevented work as the river running at 80 CFS in the morning (35,907 GPM), and by the afternoon it was up to 200 CFS (89,767 GPM).

Saturday, February 17, 2018:  The river was running at 100 CFS (44,883 GPM).

Sunday, February 18, 2018: The river running at 80 CFS (35,907 GPM).

Monday, February 19, 2018: There was another rain delay as the river was running at 60 CFS (26,929 GPM).

Tuesday, February 20, 2018: There was another rain delay as the river running at 50 CFS (22,441 GPM).

Wednesday, February, 21, 2018: There was another rain delay as the river running at 35.9 CFS (16,113 GPM). The Village of Ruidoso had a conference with the engineer and contractor and reworked the construction schedule and the critical path of events to realistically still complete project on or before May 21st.

In addition, the VOR crew met with them on-site, and the following items were discussed:

·      SWPPP plan and importance of keeping records up to date.  Contractor has been doing daily reports.

·      The realignment of the Gabion baskets to insure the safety of the riverfront trees.

·      The removal of the HDPE pipe that has floated downstream from the construction site.

·      The width of the channel on this project will remain at 28-feet wide from Gabion face to Gabion face

Thursday, February 22, 2018: The weekly public meeting was held at 8:30 AM, and we had 5 citizens in attendance. An idea was presented to make Brady and Ponderosa one-way in an effort to relieve some of the pressure on Brady Canyon. Village staff will review the possibility of re-signing the detour route.

Chief Thetford discussed the positive effects of the recent rain event, and how the fire danger has been greatly reduced.

Village staff will look into offering a downloadable GPS map that could be put on the web site and/or the Facebook page.

Citizens in the audience commented on the positive presence of Police, Fire and Road Departments, and how effective the response was during this rain/freezing rain/snow event.

The Public Works Department discussed the new construction schedule and informed the public that project is still on schedule to be completed by May 21st.

The river continues to run at 29.9 CFS (13,420 GPM). The contractor needs flow to fall to about 20 CFS to recapture river flow through HDPE pipe in order to be able to continue work on the footings for the bridge.

The anticipated progress for next week is as follows:

·      Contractor will hopefully be able to recapture the river and begin pumping out water at the two footing locations.  Once completed will begin bringing footings up to grade with engineered fill.

·      Build forms and install rebar,  and possibly pour concrete on Friday.

If you have any questions on the project, please visit our Main Bridge Replacement Project page or contact Village Hall at 575-258-4343.